Hong Kong Travelogue: 13 Places to Eat

5:05 AM

Finally, I'm back here to jot down most of the food places we went to in Hong Kong! Warning: long post ahead!! (Also, I did a rough breakdown of my expenses in HK for the 5 days!) You can also read my previous entry on Places to Shop in Hong Kong HERE!

1) Australian Dairy Company 奥利牛奶公司

47-49 Parkes Street, Jordan
MTR: Jordan





What's new? Haha. This appears everywhere in every review you can find online right??? This was the first place we went after touching down in HK and dropping our luggages at our guesthouse :) There was a queue but it moved really quickly!

I've heard and read reviews that the service here is quite bad. But you're in luck if you're a group of girls, and you well, bother to kinda dress up. It helps!!!! The staff will treat you patiently, joke with you, and let you take your time to eat your food hahaha.


Food wise, the scrambled eggs were really, really GOOD. So was their milk pudding!!!! IT WAS AWESOME. Esp since I am quite a fan of Chinese desserts so yeah I really liked the milk pudding :) Their macaroni with ham wasn't too bad either, but the main star goes to the scrambled eggs without a single doubt :)

2) One Dim Sum

Shop 1&2, G/F, Kenwood Mansion, 15 Playing Field Road, Prince Edward
MTR: Prince Edward




A friend brought us here during lunch time and we waited for slightly more than an hour! Also bumped into a friend who was in the queue here. The shop isn't very big, but it's the quality of the food that matters. So glad we came here rather than settling for Tim Ho Wan! I mean, yes it's cheaper there but we have it in SG too and tbh I think the only thing nice at Tim Ho Wan is the Char siew pau! Would definitely try a place that doesn't exist in SG yet.



The dimsum here was so good and affordable!!! We ordered around 10 dishes for about SGD$40 in total??? I don't think we can really find that in SG! They also have this dish known as 蛋散 served with honey and IT WAS SO YUMMY???? My HK friend also told us that only HK has it... It was really yums!


One difference I noted in their dimsum was that they were all non spicy! Certain dimsum dishes in SG tend to be spicy, and although I love spicy food, these dimsum were equally delectable :P My fav, besides 蛋散, has got to be the steamed malay cake which was so airy, spongy and not overly sweet!!! I also loved the har gow, and chicken feet ^^ Writing about this makes me so hungry now!!!

3) King of Coconut 椰汁大王

72 Bute Street, Mongkok
MTR: Mongkok




Our HK friend brought us here to try the coconut milk drink while we were waiting for our turn to eat at One Dim Sum! Never heard about this place before but apparently it is really famous/popular among the locals there! A mix of coconut juice and evaporated milk, this tasted reallllyyy creamy and sweet, but not overpowering. I quite like the taste of it! But I didn't drink much because it was a little tooooo milky for me and I don't like milk HAHA. So if you like milk/creamy drinks, this is for you!

4) 肥姐小食 (Fei Jie Xiao Shi)

55 Dundas Street 4A, Mong Kok
MTR: Mongkok


Sorry I honestly have no idea what this is called in English, and google also only showed me the Chinese results!


I think among my friends, I was the only person (and maybe Oli too) who truly enjoyed this and FELL IN LOVE with it. I'm a super street food person. I don't even know how to describe what this stall sells. It's like... old chang kee, but not fried, instead it is cold! And the "dishes" are like squids, intestines, sausages hahaha. not for the people who don't enjoy such stuff. I, too, avoided the sticks of pig's liver, kidneys etc but THE SQUID WAS SOOOOO AMAZING. If you ever try this, you must have it with their MUSTARD SAUCE!!! It tastes damn gooood I really miss the squid drizzled in mustard and another sauce which I forgot what it is.. Sorry not exactly helpful here because my HK friend did the ordering and I just helped to eat :P HAHAHA


I'm totally craving for some of the mustard squid now...

If you're not afraid of eating intestines and squids and stuff like that~ (all the weird innards) please try this when you're in Mongkok! I also heard it's the most famous and one of the cheapest around at around HK7 per stick! We were lucky that when we went there wasn't a queue, but right after we bought a longgg queue formed!

5) Egglet Waffle 妈咪鸡蛋仔

Kwong Wah Street, No1 Trend G23, Mong Kok
MTR: Mongkok
(various locations)


I'm sure everyone knows how famous HK is for their egglets! And reviews have it that the original, most famous stall is in North Point. We didn't get to try that but my friend also brought us to this humble little stall in Mongkok for the egglets :)

Ate so much that day my shorts were bursting LOL


We were served the egglets piping hot and right out of the waffle iron! Yums. Ordered the chocolate and original one and the chocolate was really good. Their waffles were super crunchy/crispy on the outside but had a chewy texture on the inside. There was also a queue for this despite the rain so I guess we were brought to the correct stall too ;) Trust the locals!!! So so thankful to our HK friend for bringing us to eat all these yummy street snacks that we otherwise would never be able to find LOLLOL

Btw using egglet and waffles interchangeably here because... they are kinda the same to me.

6) Cart Noodles (车仔面)

I can't remember the name of the shop where we had ours, and couldn't find a photo of it either possibly because I was too tired from all the walking to take a photo LOL. But it's opposite the popular Kam Wah cafe (one of my fav!), next to Gong Cha along Bute Street!

As usual, our HK friend brought us there for dinner (Yes we had #1-#6 all in ONE day can you believe it) and because we were SO full by then because we ate all day, we decided on sharing our noodles hahaha. We were not even hungry but the beef soup that we chose as the soup broth was so good... the shop was filled with locals and it was also one of the places where we can actl sit down and slowly enjoy our soup and noodles. And rest our tired feet for awhile after a really long day of walking LOL

7) Capital Cafe 華星冰室

6 Heard Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island
MTR: Wan Chai






We had brunch at this Cha Chaan Teng on our 2nd day because we were really so full from Day 1 that we decided to skip breakfast altogether. We were recommended by our HK friend to come here for their Black Truffle Toast! (known as Principal toast, I think) Capital Cafe was about a 20minute walking distance from our guesthouse (yes we walked because we felt too full from the previous day) and there was a short queue forming outside the cha chaan teng, which we managed to skip the queue for once again LOL.

Girls, it really helps to wear something nicer to go out. ;)


We settled for something simple, and went for the standard Pork Chop bun and Devil's bun (Pork chop bun with wasabi!! YUMS) If I remembered correctly, the pork chop bun was HKD17 and the Devil's bun was HKD23. I preferred my devil's bun because the tomato and lettuce was served separately HAHA. We also ordered Chicken wings for sharing but it was way tooooo oily omg.


The highlight of our meal was none other than the Principal toast, which was fragrantly served with generous servings of Black Truffle and mozerella cheese ^^ So yummy!!

8) Satay King

9th Storey, Causeway Bay Plaza 1, 489 Hennessy Road, Hong Kong Island
MTR: Causeway Bay Exit B

This was a surprise find to add on to the list. My friend brought us here for dinner on the day I met up with her and we were so pleasantly surprised with the food (both quality, quantity and price) that we returned here again on our last night after a long day at Disneyland for our last dinner in HK! Partly because Satay King was located right across the street of our guesthouse :)

It is located on Level 9 of the building right after you step out of exit B of Causeway Bay!

The place was huge, and it was a great place to sit down and slowly have your food and nobody will chase you off or anything. The food variety was quite aplenty too and I had the lemongrass pork chop with Satay soup ramen (HKD51) for the both times that I was there!:) Finished everything by myself even though it was a huge bowl, such a unique taste!!! (Let's not count the calories here haha)

9) Tai Heng cafe 太興冰室

Shop L228, 2nd floor, Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road
MTR: Lok Fu 
(various locations)


T (our friend who brought us around on Day 1) told us to try the milk tea from Tai Heng, and we should try it dine-in and not takeaway. We came across a Tai Heng cafe while searching for Egg Tart King (see below) as recommended by T too!


Their milk tea was smooth and not too siap, and the milk taste wasn't overpowering as well! I really like how in HK, you add sugar to your milk tea yourself! This way, you get a cup of milk tea tailored to your own taste preferences :)

10) King Bakery 蛋塔王

Lok Fu Shopping Centre, 198 Junction Road
MTR: Lok Fu


What's a trip to Hong Kong without some egg tarts!!! We traveled all the way down to Lok Fu Plaza to get our hands on these egg tarts (both standard and Portuguese, they also have durian, hokkaido etc) in this humble looking bakery.

PS: This egg tart bakery shop took us 30minutes to locate LOL we were soooo lost in the extremely huge Lok Fu Plaza

My friends, who had egg tarts for the first time in their life (I find it unbelievable HAHA) said those were sooo good and they probably will find it hard to accept other egg tarts in their life anymore LOL

True enough, they were melt-in-your-mouth goodness and it wasn't too sweet as well. I was already full to the brim but I still stuffed 2 of the egg tarts down! The stomach is probably the most flexible part of my entire body, and sometimes I wonder if it has stretchmarks HAHAHA

11) Tsim Chai Kee Wanton Noodles 沾仔记

98 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong Island
MTR: Central 



Located directly opposite Mak's Noodles which is claimed to have the best wanton noodles in HK, we settled for Tsim Chai Kee instead because Mak's servings were SO, SO, SMALL. Tsim Chai Kee serves noodles of a bigger portion with more ingredients at about the same price. We were ordering to share therefore the portion at Tsim Chai Kee was just right. Plus, it tasted good enough to satisfy us hahaha. Anyway, I heard Mak's Noodles is going to open in SG soon? So it doesn't hurt trying other stalls since we can soon try Mak's in SG!

12) Kam Wah cafe 金華冰室

47 Bute Street, Hong Kong
Nearest MTR: Mong Kok East




A reader from Dayre suggested this cha chaan teng to me, saying that this place has the best Bo Lo Yao (polo buns) ever! So thankful for the suggestion because IT'S TRUE.



4 girls shared ONE bo lo yao because we have been eating way too much there till our stomachs can't contain anymore food! We also ordered a main dish each and although my order turned out to be wrong, it was still pretty yummy BUT IT WAS SO HUGE.


Happy Oli & Lynn
I remember in another selfie we took, the patrons inside the shop were all posing for our photo too LOL


One of the heartiest meal we've had in a cha chaan teng because Kam Wah is relatively less busy than the others I've mentioned and visited, and the staff were also very nice to us and other customers alike :) We could also take our time to eat our food without worrying of being chased away :)



The milk tea at Kam Wah was awesome too!!! I highly recommend this place!:)

13) Yee Shun Milk Company 義順牛奶公司

506 Lockhard Road, Causeway Bay, HK Island
MTR: Causeway Bay

Heard lots of great reviews about this place but we were always too full to make anymore space in our stomach for this!!! Ended up, we packed a bowl of egg pudding (ordered wrongly in a rush oops, should have been milk pudding!!!) back but in the end I ate 90% of it hahaha. It was really smooth but ahhh I'll definitely try the double boiled milk pudding (the correct order) the next time I'm in HK!

Bonus(?): McDonald's
Not quite a fan of fast food but McDonald's was probably the CHEAPEST and good breakfast you can find there! They even have hot soya bean for the drinks!


Alright, I think that's about all for what we ate and shopped in HK. I think along the way we ate some small snacks here and there, and bought lots of tidbits from the supermarkets and tried some random food that were not exactly nice (ate just to fill stomach space haha) There's just sooooo much food to try in HK and tbh my stomach almost exploded from all the eating la HAHAHA. Hopefully the next time round if I head back I'll be able to try more food I didn't get to eat this time round like Kau Kee Beef Brisket Noodles, Roasted meat, congee and more dimsum??? (:

To be frank, I think dining in Hong Kong is expensive! A normal meal in a cha chan teng that is mainly spam/hotdog/ham (processed food which I don't eat) would cost you around SGD$5 at least. Dimsum was definitely more worth it there though! I wasn't expecting to spend so much on food but looks like I underestimated the AMOUNT of food HK has! Hahaha we were literally eating non stop omg. For the 5 days there, I only brought around $350 and I think I spent ~$150 on food? It's considered really little already considering food there isn't cheap at all! In fact, when I told some of my friends in SG how much I brought, they were surprised $350 could cover all my dining + transportation + shopping + Disneyland! And I ate till I was dead full every meal and shopped till I dropped at that!

A little tip/advice I can give (and have given before in all my travel posts) is to form up a "Food fund" with your friends and eat wisely. Most of the time, 4 of us girls would order 2 mains only (ie 2 people share 1 main) because we know we are gonna be eating a lot! Only on occasions where we combined two meals into one (like brunch) do we settle for our own food :) This way, you can try more things without breaking your bank! :)

Next and final post would be on Disneyland sooo stay tuned! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments